Helpful tips to reduce identify theft:
- Do not sign the back of your credit cards. Instead, put “PHOTO ID REQUIRED.”
- When you are writing checks to pay on your credit card accounts, DO NOT put the complete account number on the “For” line. Instead, just put the last four numbers. The credit card company knows the rest of the number, and anyone who might be handling your check as it passes through all the check processing channels won’t have access to it.
- Put your work phone # on your checks instead of your home phone. If you have a PO Box, use that instead of your home address. If you do not have a PO Box, use your work address. Never have your SS# printed on your checks. You can add it if it is necessary. But if you have It printed, anyone can get it.
- Place the contents of your wallet on photocopy machine. Do both sides of each license, credit card, etc. You will know what you had in your wallet and all of the account numbers and phone numbers to call and cancel. Keep the photocopy in a safe place.
- (Also carry a photocopy of your passport when traveling either here or abroad.)
Here is some important information to limit the damage in case your ID or identity are stolen:
- Cancel your credit cards immediately. The key to this is having the toll free numbers and your card numbers handy so you know whom to call. Keep those where you can find them.
- File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where your credit cards, etc., were stolen. This proves to credit providers you were diligent, and this is a first step toward an investigation (if there ever is one).
- Call the 3 national credit reporting organizations immediately to place a fraud alert on your name and also call the Social Security fraud line number. The alert means any company that checks your credit knows your information was stolen, and they have to contact you by phone to authorize new credit.
Here are the numbers you always need to contact with regard to your missing or stolen wallet:
- Equifax: 1-800-525-6285 1-800-525-6285
- Experian (formerly TRW): 1-888-397-3742 1-888-397-3742
- Trans Union : 1-800-680 7289 1-800-680 7289
- Social Security Administration (fraud line): (800) 269-0271 & (800) 269-0271
Jeffrey P. Gale, P.A. is a South Florida based law firm committed to the judicial system and to representing and obtaining justice for individuals – the poor, the injured, the forgotten, the voiceless, the defenseless and the damned, and to protecting the rights of such people from corporate and government oppression. We do not represent government, corporations or large business interests.
Contact us today for a free, confidential consultation to discuss your important case.