- DO NOT give any statements, in writing or over the phone, to anyone about your car accident or injuries. This can even apply to your own insurance company, although caution must be taken here to avoid giving your insurance company an excuse for denying coverage. This condition is one reason why it is important to consult with a lawyer about your case as soon as possible. Car accident cases present countless landmines to those who are unaware of them.
- Take photographs of your car before it is repaired. Save and give the photographs to your lawyer. If you are unable to take photographs, your lawyer should get it done.
- Keep all receipts for any medical or pharmacy payments you make for injuries caused by your car accident.
- Keep all receipts for any other out-of-pocket expenses incurred by you as a result of the accident.
- Be sure to notify your treating doctors(s) about any prior car accidents, fall downs, workers’ compensation claims, or injuries. Insurance companies will use any incorrect or mistaken statements to your doctors against you. If you do not recall your past accidents, just tell the doctor, “I don’t remember,” rather than guessing.
- Keep your lawyer informed of all medical appointments.
- Do not lose contact with your lawyer. Provide new addresses and phone numbers as soon as possible.
- It is critical that you tell your doctor(s) about any and all pains and problems you are having. Too often, car accident victims feel that something is not worth mentioning, until it becomes worse. Unfortunately, insurance companies and juries will hold any delay in telling your doctors about your injuries against you.
- Make sure you follow all of your doctors recommendations, including attending all physical therapy appointments, filling all of your prescriptions and having all MRIs done in a timely manner. If you have to cancel an appointment, please make sure to immediately reschedule it.
- Lastly, make sure not to discuss your case with anyone other than your attorney or his/her staff. This includes posting information to Facebook and MySpace. Consider that the information you post to these sites will be discovered by the Defendant.
Jeffrey P. Gale, P.A. is a South Florida based law firm committed to the judicial system and to representing and obtaining justice for individuals – the poor, the injured, the forgotten, the voiceless, the defenseless and the damned, and to protecting the rights of such people from corporate and government oppression. We do not represent government, corporations or large business interests.
Contact us today to schedule a free, confidential consultation to discuss your important legal matter.